Disposing of Oily RagsMarch 2023
So you’ve just finished painting your house or refinishing furniture. Time to relax, right?
Follow these steps to dispose of oil or gas-soaked rags:
1. Hang them outside to dry in a safe area.
- Spread them out and do not place them in a pile.
2. Dispose of them properly when they are dry:
- If you use oily rags regularly — Place them in a special container and have them emptied by a private contractor.
- If you use them less frequently — Place them in a small, airtight, non-combustible container with a tight-fitting lid such as an old paint can. Cover them with water and an oil breakdown detergent. Then, have them taken on the hazardous waste collection day in your area.
To learn more about our thoughtful coverage for Home & Auto, talk to a local independent agent today.
Home and Auto are best together.
Besides combining home and auto coverage, our Member’s Best policy provides a collection of exclusive benefits.